When you are out camping, rainy days are inevitable (so are extremely hot sunny days here in Texas). So to still be able to enjoy some outdoor space when camping in a downpour or extreme heat, I recently decided to get an awning for the campervan.
I had a few requirements for my use case:
- easy to mount on my existing roof rack
- needs to cover the entire barn doors when open
- enough room to fit 2 people & a camping cooker comfortably
- easy to set up (in less than 5 minutes)
- all parts must be self contained
- ~$300 price range
I ended up ordering the Rhino Rack Sunseeker 2 (6.5ft) from eBay. If you want / need more space, there is also an 8ft version. As you can see from the pictures, the size is just right to cover the side doors. Mounting it to my cross beams took about 15 minutes using the provided hardware and pre-drilled mounting points.
Setting it up is super easy and you can do it on your own without any major problems, but it is definitely much easier with 2 people.